LLRA is pleased to report that City of Lincoln Council have appointed a contractor for the Whittons Park children’s playpark project and a planning application has been submitted. Subject to obtaining planning approval and satisfactory progress on installation over the winter months, LLRA are optimistic that the new playpark equipment should be in place by early Spring 2022.
The supplier’s design proposal meets the December 2019 Community Brief, which was produced in collaboration with LLRA & WERA residents. There are a number of key highlights which children should enjoy:
- Double Zip Wire and Agility / Adventure Trail. Race down the hill on the zip wire and then use the agility trail to climb back up the slope.
- Sports Wall for impromptu football/basketball games. A 15 metre wide x 11 metre long playing area, with markings for Olympic 3 x 3 basketball games.
- Jungle Dome Climbing and Agility Area. Test climbing, agility and balance skills.
- Inclusive Play Area including wheelchair roundabout and seesaw.
- Additional seating, picnic benches (and litter bins).
To enable the work to be safely completed, the existing play area in Whittons Park will need to be closed for circa 8 weeks. This is potentially likely to be from late November, although an exact date will be dependent on obtaining planning permission and on weather conditions. Timescales for installation are dependent on the weather and how easy it is to reinstate any damage to grass. In any event we should have a fantastic new playpark come Spring 2022 when the weather improves.
Below are some impressions of the new equipment (although bear in mind that the zip wire and agility trail will be on a slope!). You can also read the city council’s press release: Contractors appointed as plans submitted for new Lincoln play area.
LLRA will provide more information as the project progresses.
Double Zip Wire and Agility / Adventure Trail
The sports wall area is for improptu games such as football or basketball. The 15 metre wide by 11 metre long playing area will be suitable for Olympic 3 x 3 basketball games.
Jungle Dome climbing and agility area
Inclusive Play Area with Seesaw and Wheelchair Roundabout
Additional Seating and Picnic Tables