Some further information on road closures or temporary traffic lights in the next month:
- Monday 24 July – 4 August: Hewson Road closure impacting on the 77 bus service and resident parking in the West End.
- Monday 17 July for up to four weeks: A series of daytime and night-time temporary traffic signals along Wigford Way and up Newland, gradually moving towards Carholme Road. This is preparation for the major resurfacing and maintenance project for Newland and Carholme Road in Lincoln, which is due to start in spring 2024.
Closure of Hewson Road in the West End will run from Monday 24 July to 4 August 2023 for the installation of cables for fibre broadband. For the duration of the works on Hewson Road, the 77 bus service will only be able to pick and drop passengers off on Yarborough Hill and The Avenue. The PC Coaches bus driver should have more information on changes to the timetable.
Parking bays in Hewson Road, Norfolk Street, Howard Street & Fleet Street will be suspended, although residents with permits will also be able to use Zone 1F for the duration of the works.
Once this work is complete, work will start on West Parade. This will involve the closure of the north side footway along with suspension of north side parking bays. The work on West Parade will be done in 3 phases:
- Hewson Road – Moor Street – 31.07.2023 – 02.08.2023
- Moor Street – Gresham Street – 02.08.2023 – 04.08.2023
- Gresham Street – Ashlin Grove – 04.08.2023 – 09.08.2023
More information is available in this letter from CityFibre (pdf).
Newland / Carholme Road Resurfacing Work
Four weeks of drainage and utility surveys will be carried out starting mid-July 2023. These preliminary works will start on Monday 17 July for up to four weeks under a series of daytime and night-time temporary traffic signals as needed. These works will start at Wigford Way and up Newland, gradually moving towards Carholme Road.
The main improvements are expected to begin in spring 2024 and will be carried out in two phases. The whole project is expected to take up to seven months to complete.
Exact dates, times and traffic management details are still being finalised for the spring 2024 works and will be shared closer to the time. However, below is a preliminary overview of what the works will likely involve (subject to change).
Phase 1 2024
- Phase one is expected to last four months starting in spring 2024. This phase will take place between Wigford Way and The Avenue. The improvements will include the daytime refurbishment of two sets of traffic signals (at the Lucy Tower Street/Newland junction and at the Carholme Road/Brayford Way junction near The Horse & Groom). Other improvements will include daytime drainage, kerb and footway repairs/maintenance and night-time road resurfacing.
- Daytime traffic management will likely be lane closures. No road closures are expected in the day.
Phase 2 2024
- The final three months of drainage and resurfacing works will take place along Carholme Road up to the golf club.
- Traffic management for this phase is still being planned and will rely on the results of the preliminary surveys taking place in July. However, the resurfacing works are expected to take place overnight under a series of road closures (details still being confirmed).
Read more on the Lincolnshire County Council website: Preliminary surveys planned ahead of major 2024 Lincoln road improvements